Tuesday, November 8, 2011

like I needed another one

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    So I was looking at the complete class schedule for next semester to try and figure out what I was going to register for, and I was looking at who teaches which courses I was thinking about when I saw Professor Mine Enemy's last name in an extremely unlikely place.

    I hadn't heard of anybody else at this school with that last name, and it is a very very small school and we talk about professors all the time. It wasn't a typo, because it appeared in a similar context on two very different schedules and lists.
   
    I checked the college website's faculty page in alarm, but there was only one person listed with that name and that was him.

    I went next door to the room of the upperclassmen Laura and Laurelinda.

    "Guys! Guys! Do we have more than one professor named S--------?"

     There was a pause.

    "Yep, we do," said Laura.

    "Oh, thank goodness." I exhaled, and the sky was blue again.

    "You thought S-------- was teaching math next semester, didn't you?" said Laurelinda, grinning.

    "Yeah. That was...that was a bad moment."

    "That would be an intense math course," said Laura, laughing.

    I cannot even imagine.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking at the label at the bottom thinking that all my recent Math classes have been like that. Just today we were contemplating a general solution to a recurrence relation: "F of (n) equals alpha times two to the (n) plus beta times three to the (n)." The original function looked like this: [F(n) = 5*F(n-1)-6*F(n-2)]. So you never know when random Greek or Hebrew might strike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawks. It's like "Jabberwocky" except not fun.

    ReplyDelete