Tuesday, October 4, 2011

he would.

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    I had the theme from Lawrence of Arabia stuck in my head last night and all of today. What did I do about it?

    The scene: one of my classrooms, early this afternoon. It is time for my philosophy/theology class with Dr Mac. Professor Mine Enemy is clearing out his things after teaching the Tuesday/Thursday section of his BTS111 class (I'm in Wednesday/Friday). Dr Mac has not yet arrived. The BTS students are gathering their things to leave and chattering, the philosophy students are finding seats and chattering. Loudly. Jim is eating a late lunch from a to-go box. I go and sit near the front, and raise my hand and wave it about at Professor Mine Enemy.

    "Hey, I have a question," I call out.

    "What? You weren't in my class today, you don't get to ask me questions," he says, grinning.

    "Fine, I won't. No, seriously, one quick question."

    "Okay, but I do need to get out of here."

    "Have you ever ridden a camel?"

    "Yes. It's awkward and uncomfortable."

    "That's...that really makes me happy."

    "Why? Why do you ask?"

    "I don't know, it's just cool. And sometimes when I look at you, the theme from Lawrence of Arabia starts playing in my head."

    "...You're kidding me.That's weird!"

    "I know!"

    It's probably just because he's always teaching us about the Middle East.

What riding a camel looks like.

    (Note that the above transcription is incomplete.)

    I'm not sure why it's so much more fun to draw stick-camels than it is to write history papers, but it is.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously great camel and uncomfortable-professor-rider. Sooo...does he look at all like Peter O'Toole if you squint and mentally wrap a turban on his head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Minimalist doodles are so much fun when I can do them right.

    Haha, no he does not. I do kind of want to see him in a turban though.

    ReplyDelete