Friday, October 14, 2011

because I can't afford to send her anything

    (This is not a letter to Harriet Walter, but a poem for my mumsy because it's her birthday today. Don't all college-kid blogs need extremely bad poetry once in a while?)



I am gone
and you are gone
and gone are the days.

I've ripped open many small boxes
at the ends of their long journeys
(how cruel!)
in order to feast on their guts,
only to discover chocolate evidences of the fact that
you are still out there somewhere,

buying me sweets,
same as ever.

Will I not come back to you once more?
Will I not journey to the frozen north
to find my wandering home?

I will seek you out 
and burst through your door
skin burnt, eyes wild, mind victorious
and promptly fall asleep 
wherever there is room to lay down my bones.

A few short weeks later,
after the carols and the many lights,
we will both be gone away again.
This is the plan.
(But.)

I will carry you always 
in my blood
and in my cell phone.

You, madam, are adored.
The ocean sends its best regards
and the sun its warmest wishes.
I am sending kisses by way of the winds
(though they are notoriously bad postmen.)

Oh, getting too precious.
Throw salt in the air
and have your nasty, inebriated barbarians
bake you a nice cake.
PARTY HARD, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to hear it. I probably should have done something else, like draw a picture, considering you're in a poetry class this semester and thus in full-on poetry-criticism mode. But oh well, it will be like when I was tiny and brought you rocks and dandelions.

    ReplyDelete