Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wimsey covers: The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club

     Dear Harriet Walter,

    Hurgh blugh I so do not feel like myself today. Partly because I've been drinking a fruit smoothie all day instead of, you know, actually eating. But I haven't felt like myself for over a week! It's disconcerting! Feeling like me isn't always the best thing, but by golly it's usually better than feeling like a great lumpish sack of gah.

    Anyway it's been, like, a month since I was rambling about Wimsey book covers, so we're going to see if doing that makes me feel better about things.

    The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (1928)

    With this story, we have the premise of a stiff in an armchair. Specifically an old dude. Is this a charming image? Absolutely. Hell, I want to end up as a dead old man in an armchair myself someday. The real horror of the plot (well, for me) comes when we find out that the man didn't actually die in the armchair in which he is found dead (read: murderalert! murderalert!). I mean, it's just so sad. He should have died peacefully in the armchair. Cruel universe!
(as always, captions refer to the image which comes before them)


    I rather like this cover. The colors are bold and straightforward, although the fern-things make things a little awkward as the one on the left rather looks like it's growing out of General Fentiman's head. Also I like that it looks like he was smothered with a newspaper. Actually, the newspaper rings bells in my mind that remind me of the sorts of white blankety things official people cover corpses with, which is appropriate. This one's just a little small. Like the baby-blanket version of a corpse blanket. Do people make corpse blankets for babies? Oh gosh.


    I'm pretty sure the Bellona Club wouldn't look like that, but let's say it's a depiction of the solitude of death or something. Again, the colors are nice. I like that it's rather subtler than the corpse-in-your-face versions of these mystery covers you get sometimes. Hey, let's look at those.


    Corpse with a fabulous mustache!


    Skeletal green corpse! (Love this.)


    Tasteful, quiet black-and-white Elizabeth George corpse!


    Um okay that doesn't make me uncomfortable at all...


      UM HI

    okay let's take a break from corpses now


    This, now, is super fabulous. Clean and pretty and simple.


    This is...not so fabulous. The spatial relations are really weird and keeping paint and alcohol in such close quarters makes me uncomfortable.


    Holy cow it's one of the covers in that series of covers which I've never seen a good picture of but I can actually see this one! It looks like...somebody taking a photo of a desk.


    I'm not...this is a little...well, er...um. Wow.


    Okay, that's much more soothing.


    wow that's tiny why did I even save that

 
    Hi, Ian Carmichael! I see you have the monocle in today. You almost never do in the miniseries. (This totally isn't a book cover but whatever.)


    Goodness, that's lovely! Totally unrelated to the story but lovely! Will it win the honor of being the best cover on this list?

     No. No it will not. Why not? Because there is still this:


    HOW BADASS IS THAT

No comments:

Post a Comment