Saturday, January 29, 2011

I, Claudius

(written at a previous date)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    So a few weeks ago I was directed to the BBC's new radio drama adaptation of I, Claudius because through some means my mother had heard that you were in it.

    Can't think why I haven't mentioned this before. I listened to all six episodes, the first two at once and the remaining four as they became available online every week.

    Anyway. You were excellent in it. Your Livia made me really appreciate your Fanny Dashwood-from-Sense and Sensibility as being, in fact, a pile of kittens and happiness. (You get the most amazingly nasty roles sometimes. Honestly.)

i love this picture to bits and also it makes me want a live-action version of the story filmed with you in it, you can play Livia again, actually you should just play everyone


    (Tom Goodman-Hill playing Claudius oddly reminded me of Edward Petherbridge playing Newman Noggs. Great fun.)

    I have recently bought an actual copy of the actual I, Claudius in its original papery form, because I rather liked the radio drama and as I don't really like getting books from the library when I know they're going to take forever to read and they're cheap used anyway. I'm a couple chapters in and I think it's going to be lovely.

this is the copy I got, except on mine the background is more greenish. he looks so sulky I am sorely tempted to draw a curly little french mustache upon his upper lip and give him something real to sulk about. (image linked from here)
[UPDATE a couple weeks later: Just found this picture and it has you in, like, a different pose. I'm not sure why Caligula, Claudius and Augustus are all in that same position - and in almost the same clothes, too - but for a photoshopped family portrait it is still pretty awesome.]

 (photo linked from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment