Friday, January 21, 2011

Audible 1

(written at a previous date)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    I was screwing around on audible.com - you know, the audiobook site - and wishing I had the spare money for a subscription when I looked you up in their search engine.

    I was happy to see that you'd performed Hard Times by Dickens, because I'm reading it right now. Hate that yours is abridged, though. Bleh.

    Then I saw that you'd also done Rebecca by that du Maurier woman. I think I'd heard something of the sort before, and wasn't too happy about it because I wanted to hear it but I'm also not super fond of the story. (I haven't read the book, but I've seen the Hitchcock movie and also the miniseries as had Jeremy Brett starring. You were totally in that miniseries, too! It was one of your earliest screen things! You were a maid with a Yorkshire accent and you got really upset and I have photographic proof that you and Jeremy Brett were once in the same room together, which just makes me insanely happy.)




    Anyway so Audible has this thing where one can listen to excerpts from the work one is interested in, so I listened to the provided bit from Rebecca and it was a part early on in the story and I got to hear you play Mrs van Hopper. You. Mrs van Hopper. American accent. It was so incredibly weird I thought I was having a hallucination from, like, this cold I have. You totally did not sound like yourself! I am so making my sister listen to that excerpt when she gets home. I've texted her about it already.

    (I told you that I have a picture of you as my cell phone background, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment