Thursday, January 13, 2011

Facebook

(written at a previous date)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    When I registered on Facebook many months ago my dad recommended that I never show it my heart, or something to that effect. For various reasons.

    I wish my semi-friend - let us call her K - had been given that advice.

    It's embarassing to see people post statuses sagging with angst and whining over how they miss or dream about an indeterminate "you".

    I seriously hope she doesn't wonder why nobody responds to those statuses, because they are of a nature too private for social comment.

     I'll just have to imagine that K is talking to you, Dame Harriet.

    I'm so glad my best friend hasn't gotten into Boy Complications yet. Maybe soon, but not so far.

    (Best Friend is a class act, by the way. She and I once had a heated argument about what the word "gargoyle" meant for about 45 minutes at our pastor's digs because we'd both shown up for youth group too early by accident and had to find a way to pass the time. Three different dictionaries were consulted and she made some very insulting comments as to the relative qualities of said dictionaries, as the one that agreed with her definition was a Merriam-Webster. She nearly exploded with futile rage when I said "But this one is right because it agrees with me!" because I'm a bitch. Eventually we ended up arguing the definition of "definition", but thankfully by then people had arrived and we could get on to the snacks and couch-claiming and interactive sermon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment