Sunday, August 28, 2011

the victor is usually the man in the tighter pants

    Dear Harriet Walter,


    Things I forgot to mention last post (and extras):

  • I have a new roommate, her name's Courtney and she's tiny and dark and we get along quite well.
  • The best thing about driving down the western U.S. was late on the night of the 18th, when we were on another long straight road, nearing Reno, and, well, basically....stars in the desert. It was mindblowing. Literally dozens more stars than I'd ever seen before. There was even a shooting star (probably left over from the Perseids or whatever), which was also new to me.
  • My freshman class is around 24 people. The girls range in size from 4'11" to 6'2".
  • Right-Hand Man has been awesome about supplying me with Harriet Walter-related photos and news stories and things, as well as other means of support and sanity-preservation.
  • I've watched The Scarlet Pimpernel twice more since the first time (once with my mother) and it just keeps getting better. Like what is up with that movie. It's such a guilty pleasure that last night, when I was watching it again, someone asked me what I was watching (when I went from the lounge where I had my laptop to my room to fetch a small pillow) and I could not even bring myself to tell them because I was so embarrassed, but at the same time I'll be watching the final 20 minutes or so and be thinking like "this is the best movie ever".

Awesome vs guilty in this case has the same result as Sir Percy vs Chauvelin.

  • After seeing this entry on Dame Harriet Walter Appreciation, I've decided to just rename my blog to Dame Harriet Walter Appreciation Appreciation. Straight up. DHWA is now my favorite website of all the websites.
  • Upperclassman Krista cut my hair for me this afternoon YAY
  • I've been to two classes and one of the professors is off his rocker. Like, just seriously intense and passionate and fast-paced and scary. Intellectual without being approachable. He's very interesting to watch, but I think the only way I'm not going to be intimidated past being able to perform is if I take a super belligerent attitude to his class.
  • The way I talk and write is changing more every day I'm here. It's weird.
  • Freshman Marissa and I had an intense squealing/shrieking moment this afternoon when we discovered that we both loved the miniseries of Little Dorrit.
  • Everything is going to be ok.

3 comments:

  1. This is my fave blog. You just make me laugh. I laugh.

    Love,
    yer mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the post title, isn't it? You know it's way true.
    Love you too. Sign into your blog next time so that you'll post as yourself so I don't have to worry about Soviet spies impersonating my mom.

    ReplyDelete