Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ballet Shoes (2007)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    Watching a movie I've never seen before which has you in it is always exciting. Questions like "what will she do", "what will she look like", "what will she say" and so on arise. And the film could be a rotting, soggy heap of Useless Drivel in all other respects (read: The Governess (1998)) but always I know, I know, I know with all of my knowings that at least a few moments of the whole will be totally worth it.

    Ballet Shoes (2007) delivered in this way. Oh, oh, how it delivered.

    Language is a mysterious and wonderful thing. Once in rather a while, noises and letters can be neurologically processed into explosions of happiness in under a second, and it's entirely normal and good.

    I didn't know what those moments in Ballet Shoes as had you in would be like when I watched it a few months ago. If someone had caused such an explosion (of happiness) by saying to me, "Ballet Shoes has a couple scenes with Harriet Walter wearing a monocle", I don't know exactly how I would have reacted. The revelation came as a surprise. Even now it lights my days and makes me unable to sleep at night for gleeful wriggling.

    Harriet Walter wearing a monocle.

    (tiny images are tiny and can be clicked for maximization and maximum awesome.)

(yes this has no monocle but I can think of no reason to exclude it)
slightly terrifying Gemma Jones is slightly terrifying.
    I don't know whose idea it was but they need a very shiny award right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment