Wednesday, February 23, 2011

name/skirt/darkness

(written at a previous date)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    One knows that Things Are Afoot when one's sister bursts into the room and demands to have the spelling of one's middle name confirmed.

    Also I am pretty sure that my high-waisted skirt is preparing itself to grow a circular blade 'round its top at my midriff and literally slice me in two.

    Oh, and I finished my first collection of Lovecraft stories the other day. "The Whisperer in Darkness" was insanely long and boring, and I wanted to scream at the protagonist for being an idjit and for vaguely suspecting that something was wrong when the letters from Akeley changed (after Akeley had been writing to him like "olawd the aliens are coming it won't be long now") and then dismissing those suspicions like the idjit that he is...but at least now I can make inside jokes with my dad about it. Because, really, it's too-perfect in-joke material. As in, "let's go shoe-shopping!" "We can't! The car's in the shop!" "Then let's go IN OUR FLYING BRAIN-CYLINDERS!" and so on.

this particular collection. (image taken from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment