Thursday, February 3, 2011

identify

(written at a previous date)

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    I love Lord Peter Wimsey. I am in love with Lord Peter Wimsey.

    I can't really identify with Lord Peter Wimsey.

    I am female. I am way younger than he is in any of the stories. I am poor. I am not universally fabulous. I am not talkative, quick-witted, a fast thinker, highly educated (yet), British, a war veteran, good with people, romantic or good at detection.

    I can't identify with Lord Peter as portrayed by Mr Ian Carmichael. Ian Carmichael is old and fat and made slightly creepy by the incongruity between his fattened oldness and his light, bouncy adopted speech, which flings Gs away with the maddened velocity of denial. (That is to say that he sounds rather affected and fake.)

Huuuu boy.

    I can't particularly identify with Lord Peter as portrayed by Mr Edward Petherbridge. Edward Petherbridge has, through his youtube videoblogging, become something of a cinematic British grandfather-figure to me. I adore him, but I watch his portrayal of Lord Peter as a grandchild would have their grandparent's old photo album from younger times shown to them and say, "gosh, Grandpapa, you were a looker back in the day!" if they had a habit of saying things before thinking those things through.

Yuss.
    I could almost identify with Peter-bridge through his devotion to a character (an awesome character) played by you, Ms Walter, except that he has a rather unusual and offputting method of expressing adoration and love and smitten-ness and so on with his face. Like, he looks kind of like he wants to stab you.

Umyeahaboutthat. (image taken from here.)

would you kindly get out of my personal space, miss vane?
                     

 (This is, I am more than happy to admit, a perfectly wonderful moment of loveface. I often think that the two of you had agreeable chemistry most of the time and completely devastating chemistry at certain well-placed moments.)

    Anyway. To get back to my theme.

    The times when I can best identify with any Lord Peter, be he literary, Carmichael or Petherbridge, is when I am watching Petherbridge as Peter and he's looking at (I want to type "loving on") a photo of you.





    At those times I am, like, one with the man. One and shining. Because I've just been there so many times. It's like "hey I'm not the only one!"

(iamsuchadork)

(let the reader note that I do in fact adore Edward Petherbridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment