Sunday, October 14, 2012

hfwrshglblutface

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    1. A group of us school kiddos and our director of student life and Dr. Mac went to the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens today on what you can think of as a sort of college-level field trip (although it's actually quite a bit more complicated than that). It was amazing. I'm not even going to try and summarize the kinds of cool stuff that they had in the museums except to say that the European history building was devastating and the American exhibits were super awesome and also relevant to my life because I'm studying American history this year and such. I nearly cried when I got to the room with the Gutenberg Bible and the early printed works from the Renaissance and Reformation. Had barely enough time to pass through there before somebody from my group was like "Ruby you need to hurry on over to the European exhibit or you'll miss Dr. Mac talking to the group about some rad tapestries," though.

    Also oh my goodness the gardens. The gardeeeeennnnnns. The Japanese Garden. Harriet Walter. The Japanese Garden. I can't. And I barely saw the Chinese Garden and I didn't have time to see the cactus garden thing at all. Oh man I need to go back.

    2. It is my momma's birthday tomorrow! Actually today since it is after 1:00am as I write this. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA I LOVE YOU BUCKETS

    also since I wrote her a bad poem for her birthday last year I feel like I should write another one this year since I'm too cheap to buy her a present and ship it to her
    (although it's not going to be a poem really just a weird piece of writing, some words and all that)
    here we go




    there is a gourd sitting on my nice brown bible sitting on my desk, it is regular and precious and looks like a pumpkin
    my friend laura bought it for me and then my friend emily bought me a pumpkin spice latte a few days later
    you sell pumpkin bagels to people who are about to become happy with a smile
    the universe is streaked with pumpkin messages; 
    will you buy a little pumpkiny gourd, or a little gourdy pumpkin,
    and we can have an itty bitty metaphysi (cal) orange dream together?

    Mumsy, mummy, momma, mum,
    I learned the Greek word for "mother" today, it looks like this:

"μήτηρ" 
("may-tair.")

    when I read it, I thought of a woman with hair so golden
 that it would be accepted as a form of currency by medieval Chinese merchants and by foreign overseas markets who could optionally melt it down and re-mint it to fit into their own coinage system, removing it from the Chinese economy which wouldn't help China's problem of insufficient precious-metal currency resources at the time
    except that the merchants wouldn't be able to bring themselves to give even a lock of the hair away.

    blessed be you among splendid people, o bravest, loveliest, nicest, most excellent madre. grace and peace to you and to your bagels forever and ever amenamenamen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, o gracious daughter. I love you and have an elliptical pumpkin squatting on my front porch, will that do?

    ~momz

    ReplyDelete