Wednesday, June 20, 2012

boring academic update

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    We found out a few weeks ago that Tiny College is, indeed, going to keep existing, even though it hasn't quite met its fundraising goals yet. Just a few more hundred thousand dollars to go. (snortsnorthaw I just really wanted to write that last sentence ok)

    (I should mention that they're also restructuring the academic program so that instead of different majors, all the students will be Liberal Studies majors and we'll each choose two concentrations, which will be based on our former majors with a couple of additions. Sort of like a split-screen major, or a traditional double-major with a more reasonable workload. Liberal liberal arts. Eight concentrations to choose from. I was an undeclared major last year, so now I'm having to choose two concentrations instead of a major. I actually really like this setup.)

    Yesterday I registered for classes for next semester.

    Here is what they are, provided I don't freak out in the first two weeks and drop one of them and do something easy but solely elective like American Lit to 1865 or whatever.

  • American Civilization I: Early Encounters to 1865
    • Man what is up with 1865. Something significant probably happened then. (This is why I need an American history course.) Anyway this is more history, like the (worldwide) civilization 'n culture survey classes I took last year except American. I will be taking the continuation of this class in the spring, as well.
  • Comparative World History
    •  This is HIS 331-1, my first upper division history class. (Other history class is part of the core.) I'm taking it to help me decide if I for sure want to be a History major - no, not major, what do we call this instead? A history concentrator? That sounds dumb
  • New Testament Studies I:  Gospels and Acts
    • Did I mention that it's actually really unusual that my college requires as part of the core curriculum a full year of Old Testament and a full year of New? Because it is. Most Christian colleges require one semester per testament, which is like super lame.
  • American Government and Politics
    • I'm taking this to fulfill my Social Science requirement. It's a three-hour once-a-week class. It is going to be difficult.
  •  Beginning Greek I
    • Yeah. Yeah. Um. Greek. I have to take two semesters of foreign language in college because I didn't fulfill the requirement in high school. It was either Greek or Hebrew, Tiny College is tiny. And it's not modern Greek, by the way, it's would-have-been-modern-two-thousand-years-ago Greek.
    So that's that.

    And I'll be working a job in the academic support center.

    I know it's only fifteen credits but they will be hard won.

    Best part is that I have only two professors for these five classes. I had four last fall and three in the spring. NT and Greek will be with Professor Mine Enemy because he's kind of the only faculty we have right now for both the Biblical and Theological Studies concentration (our one BTS adjunct is moving away from Cali) and the Biblical Languages concentration (the man is unreal, he's teaching six classes this fall). The rest will be with history/humanities super-fab-man Dr. Mac. This is quite all right. These are two of my favorite dudes on the planet.

from commencement last month, photo by someone who wasn't me. Dr. Mac (on right) is actually much taller than PME (who is not a tall man), but he was standing on a slope.

3 comments:

  1. We have three classes together Ruby Darling! :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Noice!

      I see on facebook that one of those three will be Greek! IMAGINARY GREEK HIGH FIVE!

      (greek five?)

      So I assume that the other two will be Gov 'n Polyticks and Comparative World History? You were an English major before, right? So will your other concentration be History or Social Science?

      Delete
  2. This post is really informative and yes, entertaining at the same time. I loved how you talked about Christian colleges. Keep writing articles such as this.

    online christian colleges

    ReplyDelete