Monday, July 25, 2011

lemon sorbet for dinner

    Dear Harriet Walter,

    So yesterday I was in the parking lot of a grocery store with my parents, and when I got out of the car I saw a tiny rubbery rhino toy lying on its side in the empty parking space next to us.

    "Mom!" I said. "C'mere! Rhino!"

    She looked where I was pointing. "Oh! Rhino! I think we should rescue it."

    "Yes."

    We put it in our car and went shopping. (Planning, of course, to thoroughly clean it off later.)

    I am now regretting the rescue of this rhino. Because...




    This is the creepiest damn rhino you have ever seen. Pictures don't do it justice. My mother says we can paint its eyes to make them all black instead of black with white in the middle, but for now it stares. Wherever one is in the room, it stares at one. Leering.

    The strange horizontal scars don't help anything, either. My sister and I agree that someone must have left it in a parking lot for a reason. (Sister wonders if there used to be a car in that space before suddenly! there was only rhino. However, I was there and saw that the parking space was empty because it was right in front of the store and had potted baby arbor vitae things lined up in it. Perhaps car with rhino in before suddenly! only arbor vitae and rhino?)

No comments:

Post a Comment